Friday, December 12, 2008

Evolution of a Quilt

Have you ever had an idea for a project and right from the beginning it works better than you imagined?

This is NOT one of those stories...but I hope it will have a good ending.

The idea for my husband's Christmas present was to make a Plain Spoken quilt (from The Modern Quilt Workshop) in the colors of our Alma Mater, black & gold, to enjoy when we watch college sports.


You can see some Plain Spoken inspiration here and here.




Cut, sew and lay out blocks. Wait, these colors look hideous together! Maybe that grey has too much blue in it. I'll replace it with white.

Now the darkest gold looks Texas Longhorn orange. That simply won't do! Maybe I should just scrap the whole thing.




This is the part where I remind myself that I've been quilting enough this year to know that sometimes if I just plug through the project, I might end up with something likeable.


Discard the dark golds, lay out the rest plus a few replacement blocks.
Perhaps I can work with this.



Ooh, here's an idea for the backing.




I like this one more and more.
A lesson to keep on plugging when it seems it won't work out.
Today I'm basting and quilting. To be continued next week...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! That's such an effective pattern too. I've never used it myself (yet) but it always looks good when I see bloggers' creations.

Nichole said...

I think it looks pretty good! I made a plain spoken quilt a couple months ago and was really unsure about it until I finished the quilting. I think it will end up being a good one! :)

John said...

That looks AWESOME. Great job! Not my school colors, but if they were, I would love this. Very masculine, which isn't always easy with quilts!

jacquie said...

you did a great job working with this! love this pattern too. someday!