
I'm in love...with a quilt. This is the lap-size quilt I made to practice my free-motion quilting before tackling Maggie's large quilt. What I love most: It's made entirely from my stash! I cut large Freshcut scraps with scissors by making a freezer paper template of each size piece. The backing is Kona Cotton Earth originally bought and rejected for this quilt. The batting was a leftover square that was just the right size for this 48" quilt. I intend to gift this one to my niece for Christmas, but I'm going to have to learn to let go first. :)


The design is a free Heather Bailey pattern. I altered it slightly so that both sides of my squares from the center outwards would be identical size strips. It took one afternoon to cut the fabrics, one afternoon to piece, one to quilt, and one to hand sew the binding.
For beginning free-motion quilters like me, the five most helpful tips I found online:
- Pull your bobbin thread to the top before quilting.
- Use gripping gloves (I used standard dish wash gloves).
- Use matching thread in the bobbin and needle, in case your tension is slightly off.
- Use thread that blends into the fabrics.
- Go at a fast, steady pace with minimal stopping and starting.


8 comments:
I looks great!! So beautiful. I know what you mean about having to let go though... it's tough!!
Gorgeous! If it were me I'd never be able to part with it!
this is practice...oh my i'm so impressed i can hardly stand it. it's simply gorgeous. thanks for the tips...as soon as i get my mom's machine i'm taking the plunge!
Wow, I'm seriously impressed with your stash! The quilt is lovely. What color did you use for the quilting?
This is beautiful and the tips are great ... I've got 1 back for you, I tried dishwashing gloves, but my hands got too sweaty. I found Atlas gardening gloves for $4.99 at the local garden center, rubber on the palms, cotton stretch on the back ... perfect. I've just started on my 3rd free motion quilt.
just loved this quilt when I first saw it, and it inspired my most recent project. I adapted the pattern to use a jelly roll of Fresh Cut fabrics. Check out my progress at my blog www.teaginnydesigns.blogspot.com I used the 2 1/2 inch strip for the center, then alternated 1 1/4 strips with 1 3/4 strips.
I finished my quilt that was inspired by yours. Check out my blog again for the finished pics. Thanks again so much for the inspiration!! I loved trying something new!
Post a Comment